Tuesday, 6 December 2016

Christmas Koala!

My first attempt at making a shaker card, I have learned a lot from it! I hadn't planned on making a shaker card which was my first mistake. I lacked the correct materials and had to make do. This digital image was a bit 'boozy' looking, ( i.e.drinking too much alcohol), so I erased the eyes and re-drew them with something more appropriate for a koala's first time in the snow. This is for our son's Christmas card after all! The beautiful blue background paper has dimensional snowflakes on it which I highlighted with glitter. I then painted in some foreground and added glitter glue but that buckled the paper. That was my second mistake because this slight buckling inhibits the free movement of the shaker elements. I didn't have proper shaker elements, just some cheap sequins which do look cheap. If you can afford the better quality craft ones, go for them. I added some  pearlescent paper snowflakes, but they don't move very well. As I said, I have learned from this experience! Will our son be critical of my poor attempt? No, he is a truly grateful young chap who will love this fun image! This digitalstamps can be found here: http://www.qkrstampede.com/products.php?cat=digi-stamps%20koalas

Conclusion: Shaker cards are great but you need to practice making them and have the correct materials to pull them off successfully. I don't normally make them because they are expensive to post but I really do like them, they are fun! The question is, do I invest in purchasing the materials to make these cards and try to budget some more for postage?  I am sorely tempted..... watch this space! If you would like to see some gorgeous, properly made, shaker cards; then hop over to see Shaz's blog here: https://calligraphycards-shazinoz.blogspot.fr/2016/12/shaker-card-using-nellie-snellen.html
Thanks for taking the time to read my meanderings! Have a lovely day,whatever you are doing!



3 comments:

  1. Aw what a cute koala card Anne, and yes my first shaker card was a steep learning curve, practice makes perfect, I thank you for the link over too!!! ❤️❤️❤️ Very kind of you!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Shaz in Oz.x

    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  2. The card is so cute. You did a great job. I saved the little digi. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the cutest Koala I have ever seen, Anne!!! :)
    Also a brilliant card and work as usual, even in the absence of expensive craft supplies... This is really a fantastic idea to re-draw the eyes, you chose a lovely and fun digi, but your Koala is just much more beautiful and lovely! I would never have thought to do the same tee-hee :D
    Good to see such adorable shaker card on your blog.. (I also had a look to Shaz's one, thank you for the link mon amie, her cards are fabulous, right!).
    Do you know what?... I've never tried yet to do a shaker card haha!!!!
    But I will try one day, I promise!
    Hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete