Tuesday, 7 February 2017

WOYWW # 401

It’s What’s On Your Workdesk Wednesday’ over at Julia’s ‘The Stamping Ground’! A time to scoot around the world and see what crafters are up to!  We all get in a mess creative flow when crafting and that’s half the fun, isn’t it? I clear up a.s.a.p because my workspace is small and the desk, being in the junk  spare room, is used by all. Which kind of means I’m not an ideal candidate for WOYWW, so I cheated…… here’s my workdesk from P1080634yesterday . Nothing was created except a mess and a lightbulb moment scenario-clipart-lightbulb-clip-art1 Why the mess? I am having a clear out of my crafting hoard…why is it that whenever you have a tidy up you create more of a mess?…..  The lightbulb moment? Well three actually, (yes even I had to have lie down after that!), DIY Wink of Stella, revamp a stamp and a  cheapo and less messy way to adhere unmounted stamps on to an acrylic block.  My wink of Stella brush pen was empty, so it seemed. After an internet search I discovered that a few drops of distilled water was enough to revive it, YAY! Then I found my bottle of iridescent watercolour medium, (along with some other things from time immemorial), and so I had a quick play.P1080638 Guess what? A few drops of water added to a teeny bit of iridescent medium recreates the Wink of Stella look at a fraction of the price! The thicker it is, the more dense the shimmer, the thinner you have it the more ‘Wink of Stella look’ you create. Another tip….do you have a Delicata inkpad? It’s water based, so dab a little on an acrylic block,  add some water and you have a similar effect to a coloured Wink of Stella pen. 😊
Ever heard of poster tape? I hadn’t until my friend Joanne sent me some about 2-3 years ago for our son’s posters/pictures. Poster tape is similar to a double sided post-it pad  but much stronger. It works an absolute treat for sticking unmounted rubber stamps to acrylic blocks. You don’t have to cover the whole stamp with tape, just enough to keep it in place. After use, simply peel your stamp off, no mess from glue sticks and just keep reusing it! You can buy poster tape from Amazon if your stationers don’t supply it. 
 
 I had a fuchsia stamp that I liked but hardly used because of it's limitations. So I took a scalpel blade to it and removed those 'limitations', in this case the border. I look forward to using it in a new way now! Never be afraid to cut up your stamps…P1282993                 Just a couple of more photos for you! We had the immense pleasure of meeting up with the delightful, energetic and very talented Coco at an exhibition of her work last week! She is a lovely lady and we had a wonderful time together😁 You can see her fantastic artwork and more photos at Les Folies de Coco  Finally, last Monday we had a beautiful sunrise……
sunrise sm
I’ll leave you with that and bid you all a happy WOYWW day! Thank you for coming to take a look at Teacup Doodles and reading my ramblings. God bless you and have a wonderful day!
http___signatures.mylivesignature.com_54494_40_3FD93DE569622AE00EA54FCDF78C2828bughug2

32 comments:

  1. wow, great lightbulb moments indeed! have a great week - make more mess!! Helen #1

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is lovely to see you back in your craft room and inventing all kinds of ways around to getting stuff cone, great ideas. Another tip for sticking stamps on the block is simply a glue stick. It washes off very easily when you are finished and does the job.

    hugs, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, Anne. Light bulb moments indeed! We are all longing to find cheaper ways of doing things! So... Gold star to you today!
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #2

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had several 'enlightening' moments this past week. I like being able to use product for multiple projects...I don't have any wink of stella but do have irridescent medium so will try it out! I am always doing stuff to stamps also...if I mess it up I just get another! Have a great week. Vickie 323

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anne! So good to see you back at your desk! your new blog is so pretty!! I'll happily spend some time here a little later today!Love your tips today and your stamp came out Great!! Happy WOYWW#401
    Ginny M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anne, we are getting fantastic sun sets here too, amidst the rain storms, (we are morbihan) - it annoys me that 'craft' suppliers charge a fortune for items that can be created for pennies using artists materials - 'know how' is a precious skill - still, each to their own...and I agree it is very important to feel confident to vandalise your stamps, Dxxx #31

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Anne, thanks so much for stopping by. I will feature Felicity the lobster next week as i've actually already started her on the side. It's really cool that you found a way to save money with your stash. The sunset is really pretty. All the best, EmbroidRage #8 x

    ReplyDelete
  8. a lot of great tips, thx for that, especially the poster tape, going to have a look into that. How brave of you to cut up that stamp and clever, happy WOYWW, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visiting mine earlier and for your lovely comments.
    I've enjoyed my little peep into your world.
    Hope you have a fab week.
    Hugs,
    Annie x #16

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah yesss, so totally concur on th eiridescnet medium, great stuff works well with Brayer, with painting and yes highlighting like wink of Stella.
    How nice you were able to catch up with Coco, nothing like meeting a fellow crafter and blogger in the flesh.
    Great idea to trim for that old frame too... looks much better.
    Happy WOYWW....and don't forget to Pop over for my blog candy too 😊
    Thanks for sharing your inspiration!
    Shaz in Oz.x 13

    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for stopping by my blog. I know what you mean about life affecting creativity. I will pray for it to come back. Great pictures. Good luck in your clean out. I feel your pain. LOL
    April #32

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, that's just clever, altering the stamp like that...I bet you'll use it loads now!
    Hugs, LLJ 18 xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the visit and I too left my desk in a mess on purpose for WOYWW today too. You should have seen me trying to use my computer round it all last night!! LOL No idea what a Wink of Stella is but it sounds like you have cracked its imitation at a fraction of the price so that's brill. BJ#9

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you have been busy. Can you come and help me? I keep trying to clean out and then the stuff multiplies, :). Love all the tips you gave us. I am learning from you. Have a wonderful week! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant ideas - especially love the wink of sella pen idea as the are not cheap to buy but I do have some water colour brushes i can use.Have a great week. Soojay 44

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cool to come up with a way to save $$ on stuff you have! I love my Wink of Stella but don't have the iridescent medium. Hmmm...
    And I frequently cut up stamps, especially word ones the rearrange them instead of in a straight line or however they come. Thanks for the visit and hope you have a great day!
    Carol N #34

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Anne! I always just use regular double sided tape to stick my UM's to the acrylic - works great! I've also cut up my share of stamps! We have to fearless! Thanks for the tip you left on my blog. I have been using the microwave to heat the stamps, but my heat guns are sitting right beside me (one for embossing, one hair dryer). I will try it on my next difficult stamp. Mostly they have been peeling off quite easily! Thanks for visiting! Lindart #45 PS-thanks so much for visiting my Anniversary page too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such great ideas! Love the stamp without borders.. I mean.. you can always add a border after all!

    Have a great week
    Erika #46

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brilliant tip there Ann, never thought of using the tape for attaching stamps yet it's so obvious when you think about it and so easy too. Thanks for the visit to mine, have a great woyww and happy crafting, Angela x 20

    ReplyDelete
  20. Isn't it wonderful to have lightbulb moments - thanks so much for sharing yours with us! So glad you found a way to use that stamp - it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how you altered the stamp to suit you. I have a couple I never use because part of them doesn't work to my taste, I just may cut them after seeing this neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Howdy, Great DIY tips.

    Also, How did you get that photo to post at an angle, and with the shadow? I use blogger, too. thx

    Peace,
    LuLu #53

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks for all the tips!
    Robyn 3

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful ideas and thanks for sharing your know how. I discovered iridescent medium and use it with so many different glues/gels/sprays etc and I am still going strong years after I bought the jar. Thanks for visiting and leaving lovely comments.
    sandra de

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your tips and will certainly try the poster tape one as the foam adhesive ones always make me mad, and that's putting it mildly.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's the law that things get worse before they get sorted and organised! Great tips, if I can just find it....I'm pretty sure I have some iridescent medium too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love lightbulb moments! though they do sometimes get me into deeper trouble LOL. Thanks for sharing your light with us. Creative Blessings! Kelly #35

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's an awful lot of light bulbs, and everyone a gem. Will now be on the lookout for poster tape. Thanks for sharing. Love your gorgeous sunrise. Have a great week. Elizabeth x #21

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello Anne, I had heard about the poster tape from some ladies on the Splitcoast Stampers Forum, who swear by it it. Bought some myself, and I agree it does a great job. Love the Iridescent medium idea, that wonderful. I have a bottle too that is many years old, I shall try this trick now- and love the idea of creating coloured 'wink of Stella' using dye inks. Have the rest of a lovely week, and thank you for so many good wishes. Hugs, Shaz Xxx #4

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Anne, sorry for the late return visit, I'm stll catching up and it's Sunday already!! Hehehe I know just what you mean - with tidying craft rooms, it's always darkest just before the dawn though and it's so worth it in the end.
    Great tip about the WOS effect, thanks for that, will try it out for sure. have a great weekend. Annie C #19

    ReplyDelete
  31. ooh some great ideas and not heard of poster tape either.
    Thanks for visiitng my desk already
    kyla

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ooooh, TWO fabulous tips!!!!!!
    Thank you so much Anne! (and also for the lovely photo of us, such a beautiful keepsake for me too of a wonderful day... thanks to you in particular). Je garderai toujours un très beau souvenir de cette journée, que tu as aidé à illumnier.
    The iridescent tip is just a great one for me, because my Wink of Stella pens do not run well any more.. and sadly we don't find them easily in France. Before, I didn't think to much to the cost when I ordered worlwide some goodies, but now it's different of course! :D
    So all the tips are welcome.. Do you know what? I have such iridescent medium, yippee! (Moreover never used yet, double yippee!!), so a perfect way to try its abilities and effects for the very first time! :o)
    Hugz, Coco xxx

    ReplyDelete